Well...only 23 years after graduating from high school and being promised a way would be provided for me to finish my education...I'm nearly finished!I will be graduating April 25. This 40 year-old mom will finally have that nifty piece of paper that proves to the world that I'm worth hiring and worth paying better wages.
On Monday, I have to speak at a scholarship luncheon to thank the Woodbury family since they provided the money for my scholarship. The toughest thing about being done with school will be that I won't get more moments like this where I'm special and get acknowledged for my work. Back in the real world, there is plenty of work to do and accolades are rare.
I know all of you are incredibly busy and live far away, so this is more of an announcement than an invitation. I wish I could have you here to share this moment with. Bill's Air Force ceremony to receive his first real rank was wonderful. Rick's graduation made me appreciate even more his uniqueness and his great accomplishments. Sharon refused to do the whole ceremony thing, but she donned a cap and gown so I could at least have a picture; one I still treasure. I wonder if Mom had any idea how far any of us would go... I have also been able to attend graduations for Emerson's brother, Gene, and our sister-in-law, Brenda (bachelor's and master's). We were able to surprise Emerson's mom when we showed up for her graduation for her associate's degree a few years ago.
Dexter is mostly happy that it's not on his birthday this time. He is spending his birthday competing in the Utah state solo and ensemble competition. I hear his solo is fantastic. Dwayne has been done with his high school work for some time now and is focusing on finishing his culinary arts training. He is also taking a driver's education class so he can finally learn how to drive. Emerson is taking classes to become special education certified (required by Heritage) and is having them count towards a master's degree. With Bill, Sharon, and Holly working on their master's degrees too, it's hard to feel like I am accomplishing much...lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment