I finally got over the worst of being sick and went back to work. It was hard to be away for so long, especially since I feel bad when I'm not there to tutor the two girls I've been working with. Besides the fact that I LOVE teaching, tutoring pays better than my regular job. Right now, I am working with two girls for two hours per girl each week. I was already able to get one girl off of academic probation.
You're probably wondering what all that has to do with the title for this post. When I started writing, I realized how negative it was going to be and figured it would be better if I started with something positive. Now for the other stuff...
Monday morning I returned to work and my first call of the morning was from Dexter, telling me that he had lost his job. It would have bothered me a lot less if I had known how much worse the day was going to get. In catching up on what I had missed while I was out sick last week, I found out that a coworker's 21 year old son had died in a tragic way. Since the coworker has worked there a long time, he and his family are close friends of Emerson's as well. We went to the viewing and it was absolutely heartbreaking. Late Monday afternoon, my friend who works as our safety officer at work and has been managing the play rehearsals called me for help. She found out her son was in the hospital because of a car accident. Even though he didn't have serious injuries from the car accident, they discovered other problems that led them to discover that he had leukemia. Now we're all scrambling to cover the rehearsals so she can be with her son now that he will be in the hospital for a month. My boss was out of town attending a family gathering for his mother-in-law's 90th birthday. Just after we updated him on all the other things going on, his mother-in-law passed away. At that point, we were getting scared to answer the phone anymore.
I know things will get better and time will heal the pain for those involved, but it sure made a tough beginning for my week. Too bad we can't call a "Do Over" and start this week over again....
No comments:
Post a Comment