Thursday, February 07, 2008

Wildlife

Our winter this year has been tough on everyone, even the critters. The buildup of snow has interfered with wildlife being able to find food.

Since Heritage is at the mouth of Provo Canyon, we've had some of the local wildlife make their way to our campus. The first was a young moose that DWS had to come in and tranquilize to haul off. He had come in to eat the hay we have for our horses. We've had deer a few times. Today there were three mule deer wandering around trying to figure out how to get off the property. I actually had my camera, so I took a bunch of pictures. I also got a picture of one trying to jump over the fence (unsuccessfully).
The state is trying to feed the animals back in their regular environment to prevent more problems. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of deer hit on the roads this year and they expect a lot of younger deer will starve to death.

No comments: