Sunday, June 21, 2009

Saying a Final Goodbye

I traveled to San Diego this weekend to join my siblings to spread out dad's ashes over the ocean. Tina's parents live near San Diego and were gracious enough to let us stay at their house and took us out on their boat. Ralph and Abby Dickman have been so wonderful to us. Kathy flew out to Las Vegas, met up with Sharon, and the two of them drove out here with Dad's ashes. Bill, Tina, Billy, and Eliza came out earlier in the week so they could go to Disneyland. I flew out here on Friday and will be heading home tomorrow. We went out on the boat yesterday and it was absolutely fitting that the weather was overcast and it felt like being back in Bandon. The waves were kind of choppy and we laughed and screamed as if we were on a roller coaster ride. Along the way, a bunch of dolphins joined us, swimming along with the boat. It was really fun watching them swim in front of us and around us, jumping out of the water. After we got far enough out on the ocean, Bill said a nice prayer and we spread Dad's ashes in the ocean. Then we headed back to the harbor and had some fish and chips, walked along the pier, and headed back to the Dickman's house. After some games, movies, and some time in the hot tub, the day was over. Sharon and Kathy had to take off this morning and Bill headed home this morning since all of them have work tomorrow. I'm here one more night and then I will be back in Utah. It was a great experience and I'm glad we could get together out here. I wish Rick could have been here. I hope it won't be our last chance to get together as siblings.

1 comment:

Jessie Moore said...

I am glad that it turned out to be such a nice weekend...exactly what he wanted. You guys are great and I am glad you are back safely.