Friday, August 21, 2009

A Great Friend and the First Ever Female LDS Chaplain

LDS Living

The link above will take you to an article for LDS Living Magazine. My boss asked me to write an article about Heritage Schools' chaplain to submit to the magazine (nice publicity for us if it gets published). The magazine has some pretty strict word limit guidelines for submitting articles and I struggled like crazy to keep it within the limit they had for stories about "making a difference." The first draft I came up with just didn't have enough information about Tami's qualifications and experiences, so I tackled it again and hoped they wouldn't tear it apart. Tami has been our chaplain at Heritage most of the years I have worked there. Her dad was a military chaplain and she wanted to be like him in so many ways. She wanted to be a full time seminary teacher, but they didn't let women do that back when she finished high school (women can do it now if they are done raising their children). A series of very miraculous events lead to her taking over for her dad as chaplain at another treatment center and then coming to work at Heritage even though we never had a full time, let alone paid, chaplain until she came along. The details of the story had me in tears. Tami has become one of my best and dearest friends over the years as well as my chaplain when I am in need. She is the sweetest person you will ever meet - a true angel on this earth. The story pretty much wrote itself.

With the help of a local PR agency, we got the article submitted to LDS Living Magazine, hoping they would be interested in hearing about the first ever (and only) female chaplain who is LDS. It was wonderful to find out today that they published it online. I'm waiting to see if it will be in the magazine as well. The only negative to the whole thing is that they managed to misspell my last name.... My friends are teasing that I should have that as my official pen name.

1 comment:

Jessie Moore said...

That is so awesome! My Aunt is trying to do that right now!