Monday, November 09, 2009

Surgery Update


I had my surgery last Thursday and things went well.  The bone that was shattered took more creativity to repair - plates, screws, and a pin.  Emerson has been devoted in caring for me.  I had no idea how much my foot would hurt afterward.  It feels like someone is driving chisels in between my toes.

Today was my postop checkup. I have 3-4 more weeks in this cast to look forward to.  It will be about 6 weeks before the pins come out of my toes. I have had problems with muscle spasms that lead to even more pain, so now I am taking muscle relaxers.

The doctor said that the break in the smaller toe (fixed with just a pin) is the one that concerns him.  It broke very close to the head of the bone and may be interfering with the blood supply to the bone.  If the blood supply is impacted, it may lead to the bone dying and the doctor  wouldn't say what would happen next.  Let's just hope things heal nicely.

I have another week off of work according to the doctor's orders. After that, I still can't put any weight on my foot.  For now, I get to have a handicapped parking sticker for the next three months. I'm still waiting to see if Heritage sets me up to work from home.

No comments: