Gambit is quite the spirited little puppy and managed to hurt himself again. This time, it was his neck. He managed to puncture it on something (still don't know what) and got his collar dug into his neck, slicing under the fur and skin. He likes to roll around a lot and he has growth spurts that make his collar tighter. Because he gets himself dirty and the collar covers some of the damage, we didn't catch it until a few days after he must have done the initial damage. Once I discovered it, I kept trying to clean him up. It was obvious that he hurt a lot and that made it difficult to clean him properly. Two baths later, he neck was still a mess and he kept scratching at the injuries, making them bleed. So frustrating! My anxiety level from this shot through the roof.
When I took him to the veterinarian, the sticker shock of having them sedate him, shave his neck, clean the wound, administer antibiotics, and send him home with appropriate medications was enough to make me throw up (my response to anxiety). Gambit still kept scratching and Emerson came up with an interesting solution. He cut the sleeve off a shirt and Gambit is now wearing it like a turtle neck (I call it a "beagle neck"). Twice daily medication and applying ointment to his neck is quite the workout (from trying to hold him still). Fortunately, he looks like he is healing. I never imagined we'd be going through this with our dogs, but I love them so much and it's worth all they give back to us. I just wish they would wait until the economy recovers more...
No comments:
Post a Comment