Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I have a job!

Today I was offered a job working the with National Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society's Utah-Southern Idaho Chapter. I will be the Fundraising Coordinator and they want me to start work on March 20.  The pay matched what I was making at Heritage, but that won't cover what it will cost for commuting to the Salt Lake City area. I tried asking for more and they checked to see what they could do. There wasn't any more room in the budget. I accepted the job anyway. It's better than what unemployment pays and I really need to get working again.  The cost of the health insurance was a real shocker. To have family coverage, it will cost $850 a month. I don't know yet what it would cost to add dental insurance.

I'm trying to be happy about the new job. I love that I will be helping to combat MS and I will have an opportunity to supervise people and gain more skills I need to move up. The financial squeeze scares me, but I grateful to have a job. The pain of losing the job at Heritage still lingers. Getting a new job when you're leaving a job you hate is easy to celebrate. Getting a new job when you didn't want to leave the job you had feels awkward. I'm hoping that I will be so busy that I put Heritage behind me quickly. It could just be that I am overly sensitive to feeling like I belong or I'm wanted. I don't know that there's any way they could convince me that the decision to let me go wasn't personal and they weren't trying to get rid of me. Nobody has called me to beg for my help or to say how much I am missed at Heritage. I talked to a friend who was laid off shortly after I was and she has already heard about former coworkers trashing her now that she's gone. That's one of my big fears and I've had a lot of nightmares about Heritage, my former boss, and their perceptions of me.

Once I start working, I'm sure I'll start to feel better. I'm so grateful for every person who supported me and offered prayers on my behalf. I couldn't have made it through without your help and faith.

No comments: