Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Year....New Stress

Welcome to 2009! I'm still struggling to put the right year on documents at work (and notes to Dexter's school). Emerson's back into his classes for his special education certification. I think he's especially frustrated with this semester's courses since they focus on teaching reading and math. Good skills to have, of course, but he's a P.E. teacher and it's much more challenging for him to develop lessons to use in his weightlifting classes that incorporate reading and math instruction concepts. The good news is that after this semester, all he has left is his student teaching and the Praxis exam.

Dexter is still looking for a job to pay for his choir tour. His crazy schedule for the play and then the choir's winter concerts ended up costing him his job at the pizza place. Now there are just no jobs to be found. I'm realizing now how hard it is to be in high school, have a job to pay for these great opportunities, and attend all the rehearsals and performances associated with those activities. I'm behind schedule on tour payments myself now that there have been some budget cutbacks at work and I won't be able to earn extra money teaching training classes.

As of today, Dwayne is the proud owner of a netbook (really tiny, lightweight laptop computer without any CD or DVD drives). Sharon gave him her laptop for Christmas, but it turned out to be woefully inoperable. He already had his brain geared up for having a laptop, so he just had to get something. Dwayne now has Sundays off so he can prepare for his mission. That dropped him to part time and then they cut another one of his shifts because of the budget cuts at work. He is the first to be called to fill in for people, though. He had a few early mornings this week to fill in for the baker.

I have been coming up with plans to reorganize our church library - not physically, but organizationally. The checkout sheets are doing absolutely no good since people forget to bring stuff back to the library and nobody can figure out who had it last. I stocked up the library with a lot of stuff near the end of the summer, but now it's all gone! Crayons, scissors, chalk & erasers, pencils...probably at the bottom of people's church bags. So frustrating!!! We're restocking again and I'm working on a plan for tracking things better. Three wards use this library and we all need the supplies.

We are in the middle of an exciting time at Heritage - our Joint Commission survey. As a behavioral health care facility, we work hard to be accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Every 2-3 years, they send some people to visit in person to check up on us. It's a three day process where paperwork, policies, files, and buildings get examined thoroughly to see if they meet the standards. People at every level of the treatment process get interviewed. I'm normally not involved in this since my job doesn't relate directly to the treatment of our clients, but we had a personnel change with who handles making sure we comply with all policies and standards. I've been helping her with a lot of different projects to get ready for this survey. The surveyors arrived Tuesday morning and people have been scrambling ever since. It's actually a very helpful process, but nobody enjoys being put on the spot and having their mistakes pointed out. I even got interviewed this morning about the results of our client satisfaction survey. Tomorrow is the last day and they will give us their report with any warnings, recommendations, etc. after they finish meeting with our management team. I think I'll miss the chaos when they're gone since I've kind of enjoyed running around making copies, locating items, delivering documents, creating documents, and providing the occaisional stress relief for everyone around me.

No comments: