Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Joy

Nothing says Christmas like love at home. I'll never be too old to crawl around on the floor and play with our dogs. Dexter snapped this picture and the dogs kept trying to climb on me and lick my face. They are still fascinated by the snow and love to play in it. When I open the door, though, they run inside fast! The heater is close to their beds in the living room and they love to bask in the warmth.

Since Dwayne has a job, he had fun buying presents on his own with his own money. That large stack of presents in front of the tree is all his. He was very generous and we are proud of him for all the time and effort he put into purchasing gifts. Everything was absolutely perfect!

Dwayne had to be at work at 9 am, so we had an early start on unwrapping presents. After he's done whipping up a fabulous Christmas dinner for the kids at Heritage, he'll be coming home to play with all his new toys.

The boys got creative with their gift wrapping. Dwayne added drawings and captions to the wrapping paper. Dexter takes the ultimate prize. He wrapped his gift to his dad completely in duct tape, including a duct tape bow. Beautiful and manly!!

Dwayne and Dexter have rediscovered Rubik's cubes and are pretty good at solving them. Dwayne's gift to Dexter was a 5X5 cube which has Dexter completely perplexed! In this picture, Dexter is also modeling the coat we gave him. He loves it and we're hoping that means he will actually wear a coat.

Dwayne decided to be goofy for the picture, but he really did like all of his presents. Dexter gave him an emergency kit for his car (including jumper cables), but Dwayne didn't remember to take it with him when he left for work. He needed a jump start to get home from work last night, so that may have been a poor choice to leave the cables behind today.
I had one of the most wonderful Christmases ever. With the declining economy, it was nice to see people scale back and really think about the gifts they're giving. It was a relief that more neighbors just said "Merry Christmas" and didn't leave us with plates of candies and cookies. The gifts I received were wonderfully chosen and I felt like each person really knew me and what I liked. Emerson gave me the most incredible set of jewelry, the most beautiful I own or will probably ever own! Santa got me the "Mama Mia" DVD (singalong version) although the family says I'm not allowed to sing along. Dwayne gave me a heart-shaped jewelry box, some sterling silver earrings, and a gold and silver heart necklace. Sharon made me a beautiful and very warm scarf (pictured). Kathy got us a fun family game to play on the Wii. Dwayne gave Emerson an XBox 360 and Dex gave him Gears of War 2 so they can network game systems together and play against each other on different tv's (don't ask me how all that works). It's snowing outside and soon we'll have to find our sidewalk again. It looks beautiful, but we'll be buried in it soon enough.

This year I have thought a lot about Christmases past. Emerson and I have now celebrated 21 Christmases together. Our first Christmas was celebrated at his mom's house and his brothers were embarasssed when I opened a nightgown that was labeled as being from them (courtesy of their mom). The tree at our apartment was the cheapest we could find and it was so crooked we had to weigh it down on one side so it wouldn't fall over. We decorated it with our stuffed animals since we couldn't afford any ornaments. Then there was the year that Emerson gave me his mom's rocking chair for Christmas (I was pregnant with Dexter) and I gave him a used La-Z-Boy chair I bought from a friend. We both stored our special presents at the babysitter's house and she had to keep the secret. Emerson was too sick to enjoy Christmas day much and our tree was all dried out already and we got rid of it by the end of the day. Needles were all over the place! Last year was fun with both of my sisters here. I also loved the year Grandma Myers came out and we had my entire side of the family here (even Dan and Andrea). I remember Christmas mornings when I was a kid and how we had to have breakfast before opening presents. I also remember how Kathy and I were a profession gift unwrapping and rewrapping team so we could sneak peaks at our presents before Christmas. Dad used to go pretty crazy spending a lot on gifts and we spent most of the year paying them off. I'm much happier with the more sentimental gifts, the creative ones, and the handmade ones. Every ornament on our tree has a meaning to me - the Garfield and Odie ones that were our first ornaments as a couple, the baby's first Christmas ones for each boy, ones the boys made, ones from friends and neighbors, the cool Native inspired ones Loren gave us, the free ornaments from Black Friday sales at RC Willey, Mervyn's, and JC Penneys, the Broncos ornaments, the fishing boats from the tree we dedicated to my mom, the ornaments Kathy made for us each year, the beaded ones I picked up this year in Phoenix..... I hope the memories of these Christmases last on and on...

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Hi Karen, I don't know if you remember me but I am Twyla's daughter. She forwarded me your blog. It is great to see you some family members have blogs.

It looks like your family had a great Christmas. It is such a wonderful time of the year. I love the focus on the Savior.

You can check out my blog at robertandhannah.blogspot.com