Thursday, July 09, 2009

Garden

I love gardening! I'm not terribly good at it, but I love the peace it brings. There is something really wonderful about growing things. It's so cool to see plants grow and develop and sometimes amazing growth seems to happen overnight. We don't have much room for our garden and I tend to forget how much the plants spread out. It didn't look this crowded when I planted it...
We have some anaheim peppers in smaller pots on a shelf next to the garden. Emerson really loves cooking with those anaheims.
Last year I barely got one tiny bell pepper out of the garden. I've already picked a few now and more are on the way. They're not big like the ones in the store, but they taste good.
We got our first zucchini of the summer much earlier than I expected. Next to it is a gypsy pepper. They're very sweet and this is the second one we've picked. The corn is growing well behind the dog pen. It's already looking better than last year. The tomatoes are looking good, we have tiny little cucumbers starting up, and it looks like in a week or two we will have lots of squash to eat. The onions are leftovers from last year that started on their own. The tough part is keeping the dogs from attacking the veggies as I take them from the garden to the house. They always think it's all for them...cute. I started some plants from seed and others we bought starts of, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. All the rain we had got things going and the blazing sun we have right now is boosting the growth. As long as I have my garden to play in, I'm good!

No comments: