Sunday, May 09, 2010

My Mother's Day

Happy Mothering Day! There is so much more to it than those who have children. I have been mothered by many wonderful women in my life and I appreciate the moms, aunties, sisters, neighbors, teachers, and grandmas who have influenced my own children. My friend, Tami, found today listed on her calendar as "Mothering Day" and we both agree that it's a much better name.

I dread Mother's Day like no other day of the year.  The commercialism of it all and getting gifts out of obligation rather than actual gratitude just kills it for me.  I'm desperate to receive some sign that I've been a good mother, but I want it to be genuine.  Today I got my wish.  Poor Emerson is really sick and couldn't do much, be he gave me a fun card he made himself.  He handed things off to the boys and they took me out to dinner.  Before leaving, I managed to display my true talents by sitting on my gift.  Dexter had placed it on a chair in the living room and I sat down without looking.  The box wasn't completely destroyed....

Inside the box was a strange assortment of objects and a homemade card from Dexter.  My kids are just fun that way.  The card even said "handmade card. extra points!" on the front. Dexter was nice enough to promise to buy me a house when he's famous.  He also noted, "We have some of the same friends. Awkward. And my friends ACTUALLY like you.  Not that you aren't likable, you're just...my mom. You know? I mean, that's weird."  I'm glad he ended the card by letting me know I'm his favorite mom.


Dwayne's homemade card was equally interesting and very "him." Some of the highlights were: "You are like a magic 8-ball, most of the time I get the 'try again later' but if I pester you long enough I get a good answer."  "Lastly, I know that if I get shot, then I can post 'call 911 I've been shot!' on my wall and you'll save me."  This last one was because I get text messages with Dwayne's and Dexter's Facebook status updates.


We had some awesome food and had some good laughs.  Both boys manage to get themselves in hot water at one time or another and I snapped pictures "just in case I decided to kill them."  Their smiling and laughing faces have been more rare through the teenage/early adult years, so I'm glad I captured them.  I enjoy times like these because my kids are weird like me, although I can't quite keep up with the newer nerdly pursuits.  At home, I spent time with my other "kids," our doggies.  Maybe I'm not such a bad mom after all...

No comments: