Monday, May 03, 2010

Great Influences


I'm pretty sure that most of us can think of at least one person in our lives who has been a great influence.  One of those people in Emerson's life passed away last week.  Mr. Brown was one of the biggest supporters of the little league baseball teams Emerson used to coach (even though Emerson was barely a year or two older than the guys he was coaching).  Mr. and Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Curtis, and Emerson's mom provided the kind of family support that most teams and organizations can only dream about.  The news of Mr. Brown's passing hit everyone hard and most of the core members of the baseball team made the effort to be at the funeral.  I have heard these guys' names for the 22 years I have known Emerson and it was exciting to meet them in person. 

They were like kids again, teasing each other, pushing each other around.  It made a sad occasion much lighter. Faces lit up when we walked in - "Coach!"  "Emo!"  The reception after the funeral gave us the opportunity to catch up a little more and take pictures of the players, the coaches, the scorekeeper, and the moms.

I really can't say it often enough... I feel so peaceful and "at home" when I'm back where Emerson grew up.  The Navajo sense of family just welcomes everyone in.  I could have easily been "the white girl," but they joked with me the same as anyone else.  It was really hard to leave after feeling all that love.  It was worth the long drive and the expense and I'm certain Mr. Brown was happy to see the boys together again.  I know it made Mrs. Brown feel better.  Families came together to support each other and everyone contributed to the luncheon.  Moms, sisters, and aunties dished up plates and took them around to everyone, making sure all in attendance had something to eat. Nobody was worried about decorations and almost everyone there was considered family.  It was hard for me to leave and come back to Utah and leave that wonderful environment. I hope that when my time on this earth is done, that I will have been a great influence to someone.

No comments: