Sunday, August 08, 2010

Victory is Ours!!!

If you're a parent, especially if you've had teenagers, you will understand why I'm celebrating.

When Dexter came over tonight to play video games with Dwayne, I asked him about something that happened with his girlfriend the other night.  Dexter and Dwayne had been playing video games at our house and Dexter's girlfriend (Emily) was off somewhere else with some other friends.  About 2:30 or 3:00 a.m., Dexter got a call from Emily's mom.  She was wondering if Emily was with him.  Since she wasn't, Dwayne and Dexter left to go search for her.  She wasn't answering her phone and they found her car at a grocery store's parking lot.  While they were looking for her in the store, she had noticed Dwayne's car in the parking lot and went into the store to search for Dex.  They found each other and Dexter let Emily know how worried everyone was. (Ironically, this was in the wee hours of the morning of her 18th birthday.)  Dex found himself telling her she should have let someone know where she was.  When she told him that her phone had died, he uttered the very words we have asked him several dozen times...
"Couldn't you have used someone else's phone to call?"

Dexter knew I would laugh when I found out he had used our words.  I did! Honestly, I thought I would have to wait until he had children of his own before this would happen.  Dwayne has had a few times where he has been upset at Dexter leaving him waiting because he didn't let anyone know what was going on.  These experiences are just awesome!  See, your parents knew what they were doing.

No comments: