Monday, August 02, 2010

Fun Family Saturday Trip

Mirror Lake
Emerson and Dwayne have been doing some fishing lately and they made plans to visit Mirror Lake on Saturday.  Some of Dwayne's friends were planning on coming with us, but one had to change his plans and the other didn't get out of bed in time (in fact, he may still be there). 
Provo River Falls
The drive out there was pretty fun and it felt more like Wyoming or Montana than Utah with all the trees.  Definitely not Oregon trees, though.  It was only about a 1.5 hour drive from our house and absolutely worth it.  There are a series of lakes up there and campgrounds tucked in everywhere.  The biggest surprise for me was seeing signs for the Provo River Falls.  They are quite beautiful and I want to come back and explore them more some time.
cool stuff on the rocks because of the moisture from the falls

picnic in the trunk
Much fishing was done, but not much catching.  Emerson got a few "wiggles."  When our kids were really little, we used to go fishing with our friend (and their babysitter), Linda, and they would say they got a "wiggle" when a fish nibbled at their hook. (I miss those days!)  There were a lot of people around the lake who were fishing and a few out on the lake in boats and canoes. 
The people next to us were definitely lacking in fishing etiquette and managed to cast over and snag onto our fishing lines several times.  In what world does that seem okay?  I didn't actually fish.  I let the guys entertain me with their fishing while I did some tatting. 
My tatting projects
Just 10 minutes before we planned to leave, Emerson hooked a fish and reeled it in.  Watching Dwayne struggle to pick it up and get the hook out was very funny.  Since the fish managed to swallow the hook, we had no choice but to take it home with us.  We ended our time at the lake with a picnic out of the trunk of our car.
Dexter has taught me to notice interesting signs and take pictures of them, so I'm including one I found on this trip.  I don't know what was more amusing about the pit toilets - this sign or the woman who I heard come in and start yelling "Oh my gosh, oh no, oh my gosh" over and over and over because the smell had overwhelmed her.  Remember, everyone...help us keep this toilet clean....

No comments: