Thursday, October 29, 2009

OUCH!!


People keep asking me what happened and I really don't have a great answer. It basically boils down to me rear-ending another vehicle on University Ave. near Provo High School.  It happens a lot in that location, so I have added to the statistics.  When I saw how close the other car was, I stomped on the brake and braced myself.  The damage to my truck was instant and ugly.  My first thoughts were about how much my foot hurt, that I had just killed the truck, that I wasn't making it to work, and that Emerson was going to be upset.  I was wrong about Emerson (in a way).  I called him and asked him to come down there and help me.  He reassured me the whole time and tried to get me to stop beating myself up about the situation.  The paramedics looked at me and recommended that I get my foot xrayed since I was in so much pain. I didn't want to pay for an ambulance ride, so they put me on the stretcher and wheeled me across University Ave. to our car, stopping traffic along the way.  It was only then that I could see the amount of damage done to the truck.  We had to go clean out the truck today and it was still shocking to see it and very sad to say goodbye to our little truck.  Because it's from 1990, we won't be getting enough money from the insurance to replace it. We just hope it will be enough to cover the deductible.

At the hospital, we spent a lot of time at the ER since I was a low priority case.  I was beginning to think I was just being wimpy about what would turn out to be a sprain or bruise.  When the xray came back, I was pretty happy to see my foot was broken since it meant I hurt for a reason.  I broke the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th metatarsals in my right foot and the 3rd metatarsal is "shattered."  The ER doctor referred me to a foot surgeon and said it was pretty likely that I would need surgery to fix things.  They outfitted me with a boot and crutches and sent me on my way with a prescription for pain meds.  All this put a pretty big strain on Emerson.  He hadn't eaten at all yet and the anxiety and stress mixed with seeing the xray and thinking about the upcoming surgery and he almost passed out.  Scary moment!

I'm not going to lie and act brave - my foot really, really, really hurts!  Having to rely on everyone for help is tough for me too. Emerson has saved me from falling over a few times and I feel like it's inevitable that my clutziness will lead to some crazy crutch maneuvers.  I am going in to see the foot surgeon tomorrow to see where we go from here.  My new part time job at Sears is kind of on hold.  Heritage is allowing me to use long-term sick leave and trying to figure out how I will be able to work since I can't get up the stairs.  Emerson has been so sweet about taking care of me and he's wearing himself out.  Dexter is helpful when he's actually around.  Dwayne...welll....no comment.  I'm really wishing we had someone to help Emerson with the cooking.
I appreciate everyone's sympathy and good wishes.  It's nice to be loved!  The hard part is not dwelling on how stupid I feel about the whole thing and doing this to my family.

No comments: