Things at work are getting tense. Because the state of California is cutting back on what it's willing to pay for the treatment and care of its mentally ill teens, Heritage is having to make some huge budget cuts. The tough part about being a nonprofit is that there's not much of a buffer between what we charge for our services and what it costs to provide them. Today I learned of four more people who were let go and there are probably more to come. Some people who are retiring or leaving for other jobs aren't being replaced. That leaves a lot of work for the rest of us to absorb and add to our existing duties. There are people like Emerson who have been there a long time and make more....some who have experience and skills that demand higher pay....others who are working jobs that someone has figured out a way to blend into someone else's job.... Lots of targets when you're trying to cut a million dollars from the budget. I find it hard to believe the recession is ending when I see this happening and see how few jobs are listed out there.
We are making it so far. It's kind of an adventure....seeing how we can save money, cut back, do without, etc. Dwayne will pitch in when he can, once he takes care of his obligations. Dexter has even impressed us with his resourcefulness in meeting his needs. He was able to get help from his Aunt Kathy for his Shakespeare competition and was able to work out something with his drama director to work off his drama fees as well. I am trying to find ways to make money on the side and we have a boutique coming up at work that I hope Emerson can make some items for that we can sell.
No comments:
Post a Comment