Friday, October 30, 2009

Surgery

I was able to get in to see the foot surgeon today and here is what is happening:
The weirdest thing was when the doctor called in a student to look at my really cool xrays.  Apparently I am quite talented when it comes to breaking bones....  He also pointed out that I had previously broken my big toe (I thought I did that once in the middle of the night, but didn't want to seem wimpy).
No other options available....I have to have surgery.  Fortunately, it is outpatient.  I go in on Thursday, November 5.  They will use screws and plates to fix two of the breaks. The third break is on a bone that's too small, so they have to use a pin.  The medical student insists it feels kind of "cool" when the pin is removed from your toe.  I'm pretty sure that's not how I'll feel about it.  I will be in a cast for the first three weeks and then back in my beautiful air cushioned boot for 3-4 weeks after that.  The doctor will not allow me to stand or walk on my foot for at least 8 weeks, so the holidays will be extra special this year!  He says it will be about 12 weeks before I'm back to full activity and swelling will last for about 9 months.

Yes, I'm scared. The pain, the risks (even though they are small), the inconvenience......
Emerson is trying to keep me going and is making sure I behave myself.  If I don't keep my foot iced and elevated for the next week, I could end up delaying the surgery if my foot is too swollen.  I'm so blessed having such a devoted husband to take care of me.  I really wish I could say the same about my kids.  Dexter isn't home much, so he doesn't help much around here.  He does make some effort to help me out, though.  Dwayne is in some funk that leads him to be inconsiderate many times (leaving obstacles all over, taking over my foot rest, bumping my foot) and not helpful most of the time.  We get lucky from time to time and he will help with some tasks, but we mostly get the teenage grumble when we ask him to do something.  He doesn't have a job, doesn't seem to be trying much to get one, seems to have abandoned any effort at serving a mission, sleeps most of the day, stays up all night playing on his computer.....  Don't be surprised if you get a call from him soon asking for a place to stay.

What has been nice is the support from my closest friends, my inlaws, and my brothers and their wives.  I never know what to say when people offer to help.  The biggest help right now would be food....and that's not possible for everyone.  Emerson is running himself ragged taking care of me and having some lunches or dinners brought in would make all the difference.  One of my friends sent over homemade pizzas tonight and they were marvelous!  The only other thing I can think of is having someone "watch" me for a bit and give Emerson a break.  It almost feels like I'm an old lady having to rely on people so much for help. I guess that's probably the only way the Lord could get me to slow down and accept help from others. Maybe I should learn to listen to Him more....

1 comment:

Holly G said...

Thanks for the update, Karen. We really hope you're OK. Take care and we love you.
Holly