Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Small Dose of Heaven

I know this will sound utterly ridiculous, but there is something so amazing about gardening.  It feels like you are doing God's work.  I find myself talking to my plants, coaxing them to grow and demanding to know what is eating all my lettuce.  Our garden is doing well despite the late start.  We moved the corn to a different location so it would get more sun.  Unfortunately, that also made it more vulnerable to our dogs.  They have busted a lot of plants while chasing each other around the yard.  We've never had much luck with our corn, so it probably won't be worse than in previous years.  The tomato plants are growing well and I see tomatoes popping up in there and I hope it won't be too long til we have some ripe ones.  If you made a visit to our garden, you would probably laugh at seeing some of the tattered plants growing there.  We had cilantro grow spontaneously from last year's leftovers. They've gone to seed because of the heat, but I can't bear to get rid of them.  I've broken off pieces because they're getting too big, so they look really bad now.  The squash never disappoint, of course, and I was excited to have some ready to eat.  It's a little taste of heaven!

No comments: